Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center recently admitted a patient from the hospital who had received 2 doses of the Moderna Vaccine in January and February 2021. The individual had a negative COVID-19 test result 72 hours before admission, as a requirement to go into the facility’s Observation Unit. Through the facility’s standard testing on day 3 after admission, the resident’s test result came back positive. The resident is currently resting comfortably.
Presently, there are no other residents or staff with COVID-related signs or symptoms. To ensure everyone’s safety, testing of all residents and staff will take place within 72 hours, on Monday 3/29/2021. Until then, family visitation and admissions will be suspended.
The facility completed its 3rd vaccination clinic on 3/17/2021 with a vaccination rate of 85% for residents and 93% for staff, as compared with the average fully vaccinated rate in the state of Hawaii of 17%.
The facility follows best practices from the CDC, CMS and DOH. Since the pandemic, Maunalani has been observing the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention which include:
- Screening for all regardless of the person’s vaccination status.
- Hand Hygiene, use of well-fitting face masks, and social distancing
- Instructional signage throughout the facility; continuous staff and visitor education
- Cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces and appropriate use of PPE
- Dedicated quarantine and isolation unit for COVID-19 care
- Testing of staff at intervals required by CMS.
In light of the State’s triple digit positive COVID-19 cases in recent days, we urge everyone to remain vigilant with strict infection control and prevention practices.
Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a 100-bed skilled nursing facility situated atop Wilhelmina Rise in Kaimuki, Honolulu. Founded as a private non-profit, we have served the community since 1950.