June 7, 2022
Dear Family Members,
We understand you may be concerned about the recent number of employees and residents who tested positive for COVID. It may be helpful to know about Maunalani’s COVID risk mitigating measures.
- We have everyone wearing a mask – employees, residents and visitors.
- We do not allow anyone with any signs and symptoms of illness to enter the building.
- We require all employees, unless legally exempted, to have received at least 2 doses of the COVID Vaccine.
- If a staff member tested positive, we excuse him/her from work for at least 5 days to recover.
- If a resident tested positive, we “isolate” the individual and roommates in place. All care and services are provided to the residents in the room. It is not recommended that we move any resident out of their room. The affected resident is offered an anti-viral drug as recommended by the CDC. The roommates are closely monitored. Staff serving the affected room is consistently assigned or they sanitize their hands and change their PPE between residents in order to minimize cross contamination.
- Our employees are cautioned to be extremely careful when they are out in the community. Even if the mask mandate is no longer enforced with the general public, we, as healthcare employees working with older vulnerable adults, must continue to observe proper infection control precautions, such as wearing a well-fitted mask, practicing good hand hygiene and keeping distances from others.
- We perform outbreak testing of employees and residents when a positive case is reported.
- All new admissions are quarantined in the Castle Wing.
- We are in constant contact with our Medical Director Dr. Patricia Blanchette, MD for advice, guidance and best practice standards.
Another vaccine clinic will be held at Maunalani on 6-28-22 to provide opportunity to those who are not up to date with their vaccination. We welcome family members who are interested in receiving a Booster shot to please inquire at our front desk.
Additionally, please continue to abide by our precautionary measures and cooperate with requests made of you from our staff to keep our residents safe when you come to visit.
We will continue to update you as needed. Please feel free to contact me at 808- 695-2801 if you should have any comments or questions.