Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is the culmination of a dream and a need in the community.
Many years ago, Ethelwyn A. Castle, a daughter of Hawaii, bought nine and a half acres of land atop Maunalani Heights and there built her home. In her will she made provisions that, subject to the life tenures of several relatives, her home would become a residence for seniors in need of comfort and care. A part of her home still exists as part of our facility today.
In January 6, 1950, with the diligence of prominent Honolulu community leaders, Maunalani opened its doors and welcomed its first residents. Maunalani’s first administrator was the late Elaine P. Johnson who set the pace for what Maunalani is today.
Over the years, Maunalani has experienced a series of additions and renovations to the original Castle family residence. Its name has also evolved from Maunalani Convalescent Nursing Home to Maunalani Hospital to finally, the present Maunalani Nursing & Rehabilitation Center in March of 1998.